Thursday, March 20, 2008

Crocheted Jewelry


I learned to crochet years ago when I was first married. I love it that I can combine 2 of my favorite activities in one and make these bracelets. When I learned I used the cheap E beads from the local craft store and that is certainly a good idea for anyone who wants to do them. It is easier to see how it all comes together that way. I have been crocheting for years and it still took a little getting used to. In addition I tend to knit and crochet very tight so I had to loosen up a bit.
Working with the gemstones all the time is wonderful but these provide a relaxing break and I don't have to think about it much. It has proven very valuable when I have one of those artists blocks that has me walking around my studio looking at gems and not able to decide. It seems to unclog my brain! It takes my mind out of the design mode and lets it wonder.
I guess I did not say before that I do sell my wares on line although most of my business is wholesale to fine jewelry stores. It is nice that they are getting with the program and supporting artisan created pieces instead of all that mass manufactured silver and gold. I am a member of Etsy but I am not so crazy about it as I once was. It was a good idea but has now gone "commercial" in a lot of ways. I prefer face to face anyway. I like to see the expression on one's face when they see a piece they just love and have to have. I donated a piece to MPBN recently and when I sent out the photos to people I know the response was pretty much the same..."it made me smile". Emotion. I love it when I can evoke a feeling from someone with my designs. I started to get all stressed out about what I was going to do for MPBN and then I decided to just have fun and do a whimsical piece. I had these two wonderful lampwork fish by Generations Lampwork so that was my inspiration for that piece...it was way too much fun! Well, off to work...You can see some of my designs at http://www.divelladelights.etsy.com and please feel free to comment or ask questions!

No comments: