Sunday, September 7, 2008

GO GREEN menstrual supplies





In my search for Maine Artisans to talk about I have passed this one over many times. I, like many American women think the idea of reusable sanitary products is just odd somehow. We however, have had the luxury of having these products readily available and have become a nation of throw-aways. We dispose of everything from newspapers, cans and bottles to children, marriages and the elderly. Sadly, we have taught our children the same. Hence this new generations of the "entitled". Ah yes well, enough of my my rambling if I keep going now we will all be lost.

Solace and Savor, the name of the shop featured today makes reusable menstrual pads and she goes one step farther. She donates to Goods4Girls, an organization that works together with aid and relief organizations giving them the ability to recognize and distribute these products to those areas where there are most needed. I had never even thought of the concept that a lack of sanitary pads can be a barrier to a girl's education but when I stopped and though about it I could certainly see why. It is very sad to realize while we are tossing everything out these women and girls rely on rags, newspaper, camel skin or nothing at all for their menstrual needs. Please check out this agency at http://www.goods4girls.org and take a look at this shop at http://SolaceAndSavor.etsy.com to see about donating some or purchasing some for your won use. At least go check it out!

As far as the pads go they are made mostly from cotton flannel. You receive 2 liners with your purchase; one is the sewn in liner made of hemp/cotton fleece and the other a "non-wicking moisture barrier made of polyester fleece where you need it most, in the middle of the pad."

They come in a huge variety of colors and patterns. They seemed a little spendy to me until I figured out the cost of the disposable variety. At a time when we are all trying so desperately to "save the planet" this just seems the responsible thing to do. So ladies....check out http://SolaceAndSavor.etsy.com and please run by Goods 4 Girls while you're cruising the net.

No comments: