Sunday, February 8, 2009

Starbucks and Local Art


I was in my local Starbucks store today and saw some beautiful handmade pottery for Portugal. While this is very nice, it occurred to me that we should be selling our local artisans if not instead of, at least in addition to art from other countries. In a time when everyone is so concerned about our country’s economy why are we not putting food on the table of those who live down the street but instead supporting those who live thousands of miles away? I am all in favor of supporting our global neighbors but what about the potter who lives next door? Should we not help those closest to us first?
It is not that I have no heart for those suffering many miles from me, it is that I DO have a heart for my suffering neighbors.
Let’s not forget that the USA is the most generous country in the world. Still, we have some of the worst slums and poorest people just blocks from our own White House. Why is that?
The mugs seen above were made by Twisted River Clayworks in Connecticut. They create pottery that is unique and eclectic. They use a potter's wheel, slabs of clay and other creative additions. All of their work is functional and made of stoneware. The glazes are certified food safe and contain no lead. Pots can be used in the microwave, dishwasher, and oven with care. They recommend heating the pot with the oven. Their work can be seen at http://www.twistedriverclay.etsy.com/
Twisted River has taken no part in this article and the ideas are my own and not a reflection of Ron or Char.
To be continued...

No comments: